You can survive for some weeks without food, probably several days without water. But there’s one thing that you definitely can’t live without: the air.
The air is an essential element for all creatures on Earth, including us – human beings – to maintain our lives. If you are derived of breaths for just 5 minutes, you might get a serious damage in your brain, or even worse, you can die.
So, why is air so important?
Oxygen makes up of 20,9% of the volume of air (according to Wikipedia). When you breathe in, you take into your lungs a small amount of air that contains the oxygen. This will then be delivered to every cell in your body to keep the living process running.
As you breathe out, you exhale a scale of carbon dioxide back into the air, which will increase every time you breathe in and breathe out.
Therefore, if a room is too packed up, or has no window, it can lead to a headache, a tiredness, and fatigue.
One of the most annoying rivals of breathing freely is smoke. Smoke from transportation, factories, and cigarettes. You can’t resist on taking in the air that has those things.
Pollution and bad breathing habits can cause many emotional ailments and heart disease.
What can you do to increase the quality of the air you breathe?
- Open up all the windows in your house. Leave them open at night if possible. Let the fresh air take over
- Exercise regularly in the fresh air. When you exercise, your lungs receive and give out about 98 litres of air per minute, which will strengthen your muscles in the lungs, and as a result, help you breathe better
- Practice good postures. Sit with your back straight. This will help you breathe deeply
- Focus on deep-breathing. Spend 5 minutes a day to practice breathing deeply and slowly. Yoga. Meditation. Whatever. Give it a shot!
- Plant trees in the house. Photosynthesis will increase the amount of oxygen and decrease that of polluted air. If you’re afraid that you’re too busy to take care of your plants, try out cactus. It won’t cost much and doesn’t need a lot of caring
To sum up, you need air to live, but you can’t control what you’re breathing in. But you can make the air you breathe more qualified. Try these tips.
If you have a chance, try something bigger like raising funds to clean the environment, creating campaigns to raise people’s awareness. Whatever you do, you’re making the world a better place to live.
Did these work for you? Let me know.